Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blackhawks vs Avalanche


vs
BLACKHAWKS
AVALANCHE
2-9
7-0


The Aesthetics
I hate to say it, but look at the records, this may be a really easy one. But the tournament is winding down for the Blackhawks. Just two more matches left after today. So let's get to it. As I discussed with a reader in the comments a few days ago, I counted eight different colors in the Blackhawks logo. It desperately needs a more defined color scheme. The Avalanche logo, on the other hand, is one of those all-around sports logo classics.
Avalanche

The Nickname
I don't care how tough Chief Blackhawk thinks he is, even an Avalanche would do him in.
Avalanche

The Analysis
You could say both logos do a decent job of being logos. As much as I complain about the Blackhawks logo, there are no words or hockey paraphernalia in it. I just can't get past the colors and overall design. There are bigger and better things you can do with a name like Blackhawks. The Avalanche logo has great colors a cool design and subtle elements like the puck at the bottom end of the avalanche itself. I'm also a fan of the bigfoot secondary logo but I know this competition isn't about those.
Avalanche


WINNER
3-0

 

4 comments:

calvin12 said...

you gotta be on crack, the blackhawks jersey is one of those that are, with the exception of you, considered one of the best ever designed in any sport.

Chris said...

I am on crack, actually. In fact, my dealer just got busted. Do you know anyone?

Anyway, I wasn't talking about the jersey. This tournament is about logos, and I'll be the first to admit I'm full of shit when it comes to these things. But if you're telling me I can't have my opinion because something is widely considered to be so by others, I'm a little surprised.

If you'd like to have an actual conversation without insulting me on my own blog, I'd be more than happy to oblige! Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

the indian head is one of the most timeless designs in hockey history. the avalanche logo is about as lame and cheesy as they get. the only person who would pick the avalanche over the indian head is someone who prefers the mighty duck movies to old time hockey.

Chris said...

You see, now this is where your logic fails you, sadly. I was not a huge fan of the Mighty Ducks movies despite the fact they were marketed right at me.

Anyway, I've said over and over again that I'm not reliable expert on this subject and its you guys who need to do the deciding. The voting starts on August 12. Come back and make your voice heard if for no other reason than to drown me out!