Sunday, October 7, 2007

Rbk EDGE Review: Oilers

Part 14 of 30. All 30 NHL clubs have unveiled new jerseys under the new Rbk EDGE Uniform System for the 2007-08 season. Here at the NHLToL, we're going to review every one of them. Read up and then rate the new sweaters. We'll do a full ranking after completing all of the reviews.

Rbk EDGE Uniform System

Edmonton Oilers


New Uniforms

Old Uniforms

The Unveiling
Sunday, September 16. The Oilers unveiled their new jerseys to fans at the Joey Moss Cup event in Edmonton.

Home vs. Road
Home: Blue. Road: White. The two sweaters are essentially mirror images of each other.

The blue home jerseys feature copper piping on the front that extends from the collar to the bottom of the jersey. Spaced white-copper-white stripes wrap under the elbow but not completely around the sleeve. The copper stripe has red trim. The collar is copper and the primary logo serves as the crest.

The white road jerseys feature blue piping on the front that extends from the collar to the bottom of the jersey. Spaced blue-copper-blue stripes wrap under the elbow but not completely around the sleeve. The copper stripe has red trim. The collar is blue and the primary logo serves as the crest.

In The Details
This uniform is the only one with the unique striping pattern at the elbows. The stripes to do not wrap completely around the arm, rather leaving a large gap on the outside of the elbow. The same numbering and lettering style has been retained.

New & Old
The striping pattern remains primarly the same around the sleeves with the exception being the gap at the elbow. The horizontal striping on the bottom of the sweater is gone as are the shoulder patches. The addition of the piping on the front and the altered collar are the only other differences.

Standard FAQ
Numbers on the front? No.
Laces at the collar? No.

NHLToL Editorial by Chris
Upon first seeing the Oilers' new jerseys, I was stunned. Not in the good way. I've always liked this team's sweaters — the caveat being the WHA years. Even when orange was replaced by copper and red, I still thought the Oil had one of the best jerseys in the NHL. That is so far from the truth now. The biggest problem is obviously the elbow stripes, but the list goes on. Adding to the banality of these sweaters is the the lack of a shoulder patch. Edmonton had one of the best up until last season. These monstrosities, and I do not use the word lightly, do honestly look so plain and unimaginative as to almost warrant being called practice jerseys. They are my least favorite of all. 1/5



View the photo gallery

Buy your new Oilers jersey!

8 comments:

TJ said...

Didn't they just practice in those?
hahaha

awildermode said...

someone somewhere said these jerseys look like pajamas...i agree.

Jason said...

:( I was hoping you'd skip the Oil. No need to rub it in, we and everyone else know how brutal they are.

I wrote to the team to complain about them and their marketing guy didn't seem able or willing to give me a good reason for the awfulocity of them. I really hope they're selling terribly and they at least fix the stripes. I'd love to see them go back to the previous design, but I don't see that happening, sadly.

The half-assed stripes isn't just us, though. Florida used the same terrible design. It's just hidden a bit by the shoulder-to-wrist yoke.

Anonymous said...

Piping to start...no jersey with the piping is winning anything in my book - The stripe doesn't go all the way around the top of sleeve??? I guess that doesn't make it as much as an eye sore as the Panther's jersey but again it didn't help much

Homer S said...

Jason --

Have hope!! Perhaps those horrid sweaters will never sell and management will see the light of day. They could easily return to the previous pattern if enough people complain and DON'T spend money on the new ones!

Jason said...

Oh, I'm hoping, Homer. And you don't have to worry about me spending money on that... thing. I honestly don't think I'd even wear one if it was given to me for free.

tyboughner said...

edmonton and tornonto, have the worst jerseys in the nhl....simple is sometimes good but these are just empty shells of a jersey.

Unknown said...

AS much as I hate these jersey I own them both in Pro jerseys. While I own a at least 3 of each of the other jersey styles of the past I had to get my hands on these jerseys, not because they are good looking, they're not but because when I first saw them I figured they would only be around fo a season.

The lack of the Oil worker patch makes me sick. If they just had added that, they might have looked a bit better. But they didn't.

Can't wait for the new Oilers jersey, they can't be worse unless they drop the Traditional classic logo for some new one or worse the wrench Mcfarlane logo.