Sunday, October 7, 2007

NHLToL's Fantasy Team

So here's something you guys probably won't be that interested in. I'm going to talk about it anyway, though.

I was invited to join an online fantasy league this season — something I've never really tried before but always wanted to. The idea was they wanted to get a bunch of hockey bloggers together for this one. Among those in the league are writers from PuckUpdate, Sean McCormick at Sportsnet and Abel To Yzerman, just to name a few.

Anyway, it's been pretty fun and just a few days into the season, NHLToL's team is #1 in a league of 11. I mean, that probably won't be the case for very long, but for right now I seem to be doing all right.

So here's a look at my team if you're interested. I have to say that I don't have four Lightning players by accident. It's perhaps a mistake on my part, but the Bolts are my team and I can't help it.

Though to be quite honest, they're the best-performing players I have right now between Vinny Lecavalier and Vinny Prospal. Right now I'm kicking myself for scratching Prospal last night in favor of Eric Staal. You never do that to your own! Staal was a -1 and did nothing last night while Prospal scored twice the Bolts' 5-2 win over Atlanta. See what I'm saying?

Anyway, lesson learned. No more benching Prospal in favor of Staal. I wish I could have a third center because I'd love to snatch Brad Richards away from somebody, but it wouldn't do me any good.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that if you guys are interested, I'll update you on the status of the NHLToL team. I'll probably do it even if you aren't interested though. And if it comes to it, I might even request your opinions if I have a difficult decision to make. After all, I'm not thinking of at as my team so much as the NHLToL team. My feeble way of trying to make it mean something to you guys as readers.

Anyway, as far as my players go, I'm considering dumping Steve Sullivan this week. Chances are he won't be back on the ice until at least December and even then it's a question mark. However, I saw Dan Boyle on the Lightning broadcast last night and I'd be interested in nabbing him in case he comes back sooner than expected. Regardless, I still have two IR spots to fill, so what's the harm?

My goalies have been all right. Chris Mason shut out the Avs in his first game of the season. I benched Marty Turco last night and good thing too since Mike Smith played for Dallas. Unfortunately, Cristobal Huet lost a 4-3 overtime decision to the Leafs but I'll live.

So let me know what you guys think. If you don't leave any comments, I'll take that as a hint. Just thought I'd at least mention it, though.

6 comments:

Jerm Deeks said...

I'm in a hockey pool too, so I know I enjoy hearing how other people are doing. I picked Stastny for last week, and what does he do? Get a hat trick in his first game. Not to mention the dominance of Spezza/Heatley/Alfredsson or Gerber's excellent play.

Unknown said...

Hey there.

If you need a forward, you might consider picking up Torrey Mitchell from SJ. While he may not be the most productive so far on the score sheets, he's been the best player on the ice for the Sharks so far. It's only a matter of time before he's with the likes of Marleau. Thornton, and Cheechoo in scoring. Just my 2 cents....

JCardTrix said...

can you tell us who is avaiable on the add players because i would see if i can get a upgrade for Modin if i were you, i dont know to keep sulivan or not but boyle might be a good pick up because you could use a upgrade at D, just my two cents

Alex said...

yo chris i LOVE fantasy hockey... i have a team myself.. i'll have to email the roster to you. but anyway i'd love for you to keep us updated, by the way my sleeper that probably isn't drafted, joffrey lupul, not just cause i'm a flyers fan, but the guy is bound to have a breakout year.

Jason said...

Man, you scored some nice forwards for a league that's 11 teams deep!

Darryl said...

what crappy goalies...luongo? broduer? Hasek?? c'mon