Saturday, July 14, 2007

Canucks vs Blackhawks


vs
CANUCKS
BLACKHAWKS
3-5
2-8


The Aesthetics
I like the proportions and shapes of these logos but I think the winner in this category is plain to see. With cool colors a simple, unique design, the Canucks take it.
Canucks

The Nickname
Chief Blackhawk and his savage ways. A Canuck wouldn't stand a chance.
Blackhawks

The Analysis
In this category, the first thing I look at is whether the logo properly fits the team's name. Here, the Canucks logo features an orca. Not quite what I had in mind. I then look to see if the logo in any way references the team's home city. There's a case to be made that the whale references the Pacific northwest region while the "C" could not only stand for Canucks, but Canada as well. In fact, three of the six Canadian teams have logos built from the letter "C." It might be a stretch to give the Canucks this point, but there's just too much going on in the Blackhawks logo.
Canucks


WINNER
2-1

 

3 comments:

Urban Daddy said...

As far as I know, the Blackhawks logo is the only NHL logo with 5 colours in it.

Chris said...

Truly, it's overwhelming. There's no uniformity. In fact, I actually counted 8 colors: black, white, red, yellow, green, blue, orange and the tan in the face.

I think they should pick their three favorites and just go with them. But traditionalists tend to be frightened by change when it comes to the Original Six teams. And they pretty much run hockey.

I don't hate the logo, I just think it could use some work.

Anonymous said...

The logo would be ugly as hell if it was made with only red, white and black...which is why it has 8 colors in it for accent, and if you notice, red, white, and black are the colors that appear the most in the logo. And the Canucks logo makes no sense other than the fact that Orca Sports owns 50% of the team.