Saturday, October 6, 2007

Bolts Add Numbers At Home

I made reference to this in the Rbk EDGE Review for the Tampa Bay Lightning, but I thought I'd do a separate post to keep everyone up to date.

After the jerseys were unveiled initially, the Lightning were the only team to have numbers on the front of one jersey but not the other. In this case, the white road sweaters had them but not the black ones. Seems the team has changed their mind though. The numbers are now on the front of the black jerseys too.



You can see that in this picture from Thursday's opening night game against the New Jersey Devils.

Speaking as a Lightning fan, I kind of like them as a design element by themselves. With the white shoulder yoke gone, the jerseys would've looked very plain up there for guys who don't have an "A" to wear. Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

7 comments:

Whistler said...

Um, not sure I like them...

Too busy..

Charlie @ Sabres Not Slugs.com said...

I like the numbers and the rumors are that the NHL is going to make them mandatory...maybe by next season.

bradley said...

I'll agree that aesthetically they do break up the empty space quite nicely, but I still hate the concept of numbers on the front of the jersey. I really hope that those rumors that they'll become mandatory are false, it just seems classier to keep them only on the back.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

If we're going to justify placing numbers at the front because it 'breaks up the empty space', I shudder at what they intend to do to fill up all that black hole under the logo...

Whiter Mage said...

If they make front numbers mandatory, that'll be a sad day.

Jeff said...

I don't like numbers on front of the sweaters. Aesthetically to me they look to busy. I really hope this doesn't become mandatory for all NHL teams.