Saturday, November 10, 2007

Another Look At The Retro Winter

I keep getting emails from you guys about the news that the Sabres and Penguins will be donning retro uniforms for the Winter Classic on New Year's Day. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you guys sending in information, but I did address it last weekend.

Regardless, I thought I'd write up another post considering the league has now made that official — which wasn't the case on Sunday. Here are some images that the clubs posted on their web site this week.



The deal is that Reebok is apparently making them in the same "cutting edge" materials used for the EDGE jerseys.



As you might've noticed, the teams will be wearing their old 1970s logos and uniforms. Most notably, the Pens will be donning blue for the first time since 1980. Should be a fun game to watch, no doubt, if for no other reason than the throwback uniforms.



So anyhow, there it is. It's official. The Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins will wear retro sweaters for the Winter Classic.

By the way, in case you were wondering, the week of this game, be sure to stop by NHLToL as you'll be able to vote on the two logos being used on these jerseys. So stay tuned for that.

8 comments:

Drew Celestino said...

And according to Larry Quinn, this could be the LAST time the Sabres ever wear the vintage whites.

Please join me in making sure that's not the case.

SCREW YOU QUINN. First you kill scouting, then you let our grit players walk, then you give us the slug, then you let the leaders walk.

What's left? A team I barely recognize anymore.

Darryl said...

that penguin logo is ok...although im still partial to the one from their cup days. the pigeon or whatever nickname it got.

Andrew S said...

the pigeon sucks, long live the skating penguin.

Jason said...

I figured it was too good to be true when the first images of the replicas came out and they weren't Edge. Oh well, still good looking stuff.
Always weird seeing the Pens in blue, but it's well done. Sorta reminds me of the Toronto Argos with the two shades of blue.

Drew Celestino said...

I love those Pens jerseys. But I'm a sucker for powder blue. Not sure why.

Charlie @ Sabres Not Slugs.com said...

The throwback are great, but I think the visibility of the uniforms for the fans in acutal attendance due to the light blue and white, might be difficult for the fans to watch from the cheap seats (if you can call them that for this particular game)

Anonymous said...

everyone is a sucker of powder blue uniforms. look at the san diego uniforms. I absolutely love those just because of the colors.

Drew Celestino said...

I like the original powder blue San Diego Charger unis. The "new" ones this year suck.

The Bills throwbacks... now THOSE are sharp.