Friday, October 5, 2007

Rbk EDGE Review: Ducks

Part 12 of 30. All 30 NHL clubs have unveiled new jerseys under the new Rbk EDGE Uniform System for the 2007-08 season. Here at the NHLToL, we're going to review every one of them. Read up and then rate the new sweaters. We'll do a full ranking after completing all of the reviews.

Rbk EDGE Uniform System

Anaheim Ducks


New Uniforms

Old Uniforms

The Unveiling
Friday, September 14. The Ducks unveiled their new jerseys to fans during their first preseason game.

Home vs. Road
Home: Black. Road: White. The two sweaters are essentially mirror images of each other.

The black home jerseys feature swooshing gold-white-black-orange stripes around the bottom. These stripes are broken up by solid side paneling. Similar stripes are found around the sleeves. The collar is orange with gold trim and the primary logo serves as the crest.

The white road jerseys feature swooshing gold-white-black-orange stripes around the bottom. Black extends down to the bottom of the jersey from the orange stripe. These stripes are broken up by solid side paneling. Similar stripes are found around the sleeves. The collar is orange with gold trim and the primary logo serves as the crest.

In The Details
Because of its proportions, the crest is the smallest on any of the new Rbk EDGE sweaters. The same numbering and lettering style has been retained.

New & Old
Little has been changed on the new sweaters as the Ducks just introduced new ones last summer. Some slight differences include the collar (as with all of the jerseys) along with the way the side paneling breaks up the striping of the jersey.

Standard FAQ
Numbers on the front? No.
Laces at the collar? No.

NHLToL Editorial by Chris
I know these jerseys now have a Stanley Cup behind them, but I cannot get over how poor the logo is. I understand the marketing team wanting to disassociate themselves with the "Mighty" name, but surely there are better ways of doing that. I should say that without the logo, I really do like these jerseys. But a uniform is more than just colors and stripes. The logo is the biggest part and I have never been a big fan of it. That and the numbers and captains' letters are oversized when compared with the crest. The lack of imagination has spurred me to award my lowest rating yet. 2/5



View the photo gallery

Buy your new Ducks jersey!

10 comments:

TJ said...

I would have given it a one. Why the hell would they have the stripe just stop?

Anonymous said...

Average at best - I do like the colors they went with last year and the orange set it off nice but the new logo IS pathetic...weakest logo in the game

Lucas said...

to sabres persuasion:

I am wearing my new Isles jersey right now. The form-fitting stuff at the sides seems to be a tough material to put stripes on. It is more meshy, and since all stripes are indidvidually stitched, they couldn't stitch over the holes. It's not their fault, it's the EDGE's fault.

Darryl said...

Back to eggplant ftw!

awildermode said...

text on a logo just does not work. most people who watch the game are not at ice level. a logo needs to be seen/read from section 310.

disney should buy the team back and bring back the old colours.

TJ said...

O you wear Islanders, Lucas? I pity you. They probably put the most work into their jerseys. Unfortunately, they put a bit too much and turned out with a shoulder outline with blobbed colors. When I was watching the game tonight, I was just appalled (or I may have just been appalled at the Sabres losing, either or lol).

Unknown said...

Oddly enough, I actually really liked the old Mighty Ducks 3rd jersey with the wordmark (but anything had to be better than that stupid duck mask). Something between the corny-looking duck foot D and those weird swooping stripes (reminds me a little of those wacked-out TBL 3rd jerseys with the stormy waves) make these fail hard

Charlie @ Sabres Not Slugs.com said...

The Duck print as a logo would help this jersey out tremendously.

Until then, it's about as boring as a librarian.

zdaddy said...

I enjoy these reviews, so i couldnt help but leave some reviews myself, and Ill start with my favorite team,,the Ducks..
I have to say Im disapointed, last year when the Ducks annouced they were changing their uniforms I was excited as I felt thier old uniforms looked very "90s" when I finally saw the new uniforms, the first thing that came to mind was WOW they look exactly like the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is not good, makes me wonder if the new owners are from there. No orginality there at all. The logo is too small. Unfortunatly my fave team gets 1 out of 5 stars.

ranndino said...

I fell out of following the NHL for a couple of years, so the first time I saw these was this year. One word. Shocking! These are just terrible. People had to watch a team wearing these uglies win the cup last year? Ouch. Speaking of shocking... Ducks won the Stanley Cup? That sentence just does not sound right to me.

I'm really hoping that another drastic change in unis is in the near future for the Ducks. I just can't cheer on a team wearing something that makes me wanna puke. I actually liked their original dark purple and green unis. At least they were different. And what's wrong with a pissed off duck swinging a hockey stick? It's a whole lot better then this boring crap. They must've had some suit standing over the designer's shoulder.