Sunday, October 21, 2007

Photographic Tinkering

Amidst all the artwork I get on a daily basis, I occasionally get digitally retouched photos that I would consider to be cool concept art. So that's what this post is about.

We all know the Vancouver Canucks made an odd move by not including the dark blue of the logo in the jersey. Just as the green from the jersey isn't included in the logo. Here's something I hadn't noticed.

Despite there being black in the Coyotes logo, there's no black in the jersey. This concept was designed, I'm guessing, to give us an idea of what Phoenix would look like with a little black in their sweaters.

If you ask me, there's a third jersey right there. The dark one, at least. It's weird on the sleeves, though. Doesn't really work with the striping. But I don't mind it at the bottom of the jersey. Same as how it looks pretty sharp on the shoulders as well.

Overall, a winner. Nice work by the artist.



Uh-oh. I'm about to talk about the Canucks. Somebody's gonna have something to say about that. Anyway, this one here simply suggests a higher contrast shoulder logo for the home sweaters. The original '70s logo did have a white rink on the dark jersey, but the new one seems to come in only one form.

A little unusual but it doesn't really bother me. I could live with it either way. Though it sure stands out more in white. Just an observation.

And this one isn't so much about redesigning jerseys or logos as much as somebody spent a lot of time on it and I can't see denying them.



Of course we know Vesa Toskala minds the net for the Toronto Maple Leafs. But what if he did so for the New Jersey Devils?



Thing is almost flawless. We can play that Sunday comics game with it. Can you spot the differences. Or more appropriately, can you spot the missed changes. I have to tell you, there aren't many. And I've been staring at it for a while.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed that. Kudos go out to the artists. It's one thing to draw elements on a blank jersey template. It's another to doctor up photographs like this.

Remember, if you've got anything you think might be worthy of posting, please email it to me. I'd love to take a look.

11 comments:

SAM25 said...

All I noticed was that his jersey nember was changed(35 to 30) and that the bottom of his left pad has a little bit of blue left but overall ,amazing job!

anonymous said...

I think it would look sweet if the Coyotes' third jersey was black.
But just adding a little black to the existing jerseys does alot.

Q said...

whoever did Toskala, did an excellent job... amazing... how did you do such a flawless job, I don't have a clue...

MWilks93 said...

Whoever did Toskala, nice job. We should have a contest for the best NHL goalie mask design

Whiter Mage said...

You know, I think it's hilarious that Toronto's goalie has a stick that is from "Montreal"

Q said...

yeah... I definitely agree w/ mattwilks... goalie-mask contest would rock! But I don't think brackets are the way to go about it, since there are +/- 60 masks in the league... I'd propose to mark each mask on the scale from 1-5 and then tally the points or something...

Mr. Pepper said...

Goalie mask idea... AWESOME! Chris you got to get on this!

Mr. Pepper said...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/gallery.nhl.goalie.masks/content.1.html

Ryan said...

even the puck is changed, awesome.

Chris said...

Goalie mask idea... AWESOME! Chris you got to get on this!

It's in the works, guys. There are just so many great ideas to get to. It'll just take time. I'm working on gathering photos now. Glad you guys are interested in this.

negative drew said...

the stripe on the goalie's left arm is incorrect in the devils version. since the white stripes of the leafs jersey are just converted to the devils stripes, and the left arm stripes aren't visible on the leafs jersey, they shouldn't be visible in the second picture. still a damn good job overall though.